Volume VIII: Western Yorkshire

Select a site alphabetically from the choices shown in the box below. Alternatively, browse sculptural examples using the Forward/Back buttons.

Chapters for this volume, along with copies of original in-text images, are available here.

Current Display: Guiseley 1, West Riding of Yorkshire Forward button Back button

Overview
National Grid Reference of Place of Discovery
Present Location
At the west end of the nave, fixed into a base.
Evidence for Discovery
Allen (1891, 164) said that this and Guiseley 3 were found when the north wall of St Oswald's church was removed, but it is not clear from his account when this took place. Ryder (1993, 154) says there was a major restoration in 1866, but that the extension to the north was carried out in 1910, confirmed in Pevsner (1967, 228). Collingwood (1915a, 179), however, said that this shaft and the cross-head (no. 3) 'have stood together for many years in the churchyard in an ancient socket, into which the shaft was fixed when it was taken out of the church wall', which could imply discovery in the 1866 restoration. The architect Sir Stephen Glynne, writing in the 1860s, noted that there was a shaft of a cross in the churchyard 'with some Runic-looking scrolls' (1917a, 189), which may suggest they were always outside.
Church Dedication
St Oswald
Present Condition
Worn but still legible. The back is invisible in its present position.
Description

The shaft is of rectangular section. All faces are edged with flat mouldings, and there is a large plain area of about the half the height of the shaft at the foot of all faces.

A (broad): The remains of the lower arm of the cross-head are filled by a double-stranded interlace terminal, probably a Stafford Knot (simple pattern E). Below, separating it from the shaft, is a narrow horizontal band of plait, damaged and not quite clear on the left side. The remainder of the decorated area is taken up by a flat, angular pattern which seems to be emulating a stylised twist or scroll. Two parallel vertical strands stretch the full height of the panel and terminate in spiral scrolls at top and bottom. They lace loosely through two free strands which also terminate in scrolls, and one complete loose ring.

B (narrow): A continuous stylised lattice/medallion scroll, with some pointed leaves in the spandrels. The linking volutes within the medallions end in curling clubbed tips. This face is much more damaged than in Collingwood's drawing.

C (broad): Not visible in its present position. There is some damaged ornament, possibly an animal, at the top, in the lower arm of the head. Below there is evidence of a panel of ornament in the same position as on face A, which has been hacked away. Part of the moulding of the left-hand corner survives.

D (narrow): The best-preserved face. A broad, flat, double-stranded twist terminates in an attempt at a cross-joined terminal at the top and a bar terminal at the bottom. In between it laces through three large double-stranded loose rings.

Discussion

The shaft and the arm fragment, Guiseley 3, possibly go together: as Collingwood (1915a, 180) noted, the double-stranded Stafford knot in the lower arm of the cross-head, face A (Ill. 307), relates to the same motif in the cross-arm Guiseley 3, face C (Ill. 305). Bailey (1980, 189) suggested that the crossing medallion scroll is a regional feature, traceable along Wharfedale, where its earliest expression is found on Ilkley 7 (Ill. 383), and a later version is seen on Addingham 1 (Ill. 14). Here on face B, however, it seems like the more angular versions on Collingham 3 (Ill. 153) and on Kirkby Wharfe 2 (Ill. 436). Face A also has what seems to be a distant relative of a medallion scroll.

The use of interlace or plait as a panel divider is a feature found on a number of west Yorkshire shafts, for example on Collingham 4 (Ills. 15760), and the twist border on Gargrave 2 (Ill. 282) could also be an example of this feature. The degree of stylisation and the loose rings in the twist on face D are a feature of the Anglo-Scandinavian period.

Date
Tenth century
References
Hatton and Fox 1880, 32, pl. facing 48; Allen and Browne 1885, 353; Allen 1890, 293; Allen 1891, 164; Morris 1911, 233; Collingwood 1912, 129; Collingwood 1915a, 17981, 262, 274, 281, figs. cf on 180; Glynne 1917a, 189; Collingwood 1927, 158; Mee 1941, 152; Bailey 1980, 189; Ryder 1993, 20, 154
Endnotes
[1] The following are general references to the Guiseley stones: MacMichael 1906, 361; Collingwood 1915b, 333; Pevsner 1959, 228; Ryder 1991, 25; Ryder 1993, 154; Cambridge 1995b, 145.

Forward button Back button
mouseover