Volume III: York and East Yorkshire

Select a site alphabetically from the choices shown in the box below. Alternatively, browse sculptural examples using the Forward/Back buttons.

Chapters for this volume, along with copies of original in-text images, are available here.

Current Display: Sherburn 04, Eastern Yorkshire Forward button Back button

Overview
National Grid Reference of Place of Discovery
Present Location
Church tower, inside
Evidence for Discovery
See no. 2.
Church Dedication
St Hilda
Present Condition
Broken top and bottom; carving quite crisp
Description

Part of a round-shaft derivative. The shaft has cable edge moulding on each corner of the broad faces (contra Collingwood 1911a, figs. m–p on 272); and plain flat ones on the narrow faces. The junction with the lower, rounded section is marked by a plain triple moulding, the central one broader then those flanking it. Below is a fourth moulding which devolves into triangular pendants or Van Dykes, two beneath each broad face, one beneath each narrow one. They are filled with two crudely interlacing triangular loops.

A (broad): The outer cable moulding encloses an inner plain moulding, both forming a swag with the cable tucking under the inner bead. The panel is filled by a four-strand plain plait, using deeply cut, median-incised strands. Between the U-bend terminals is a pellet filler.

B (narrow): There is a single plain edge moulding which forms a swag. Within the panel is the terminal of a Como-braid with plain strands. Below the twist is a group of symmetrically arranged fillers: the middle one is T-shaped, the others kidney-shaped.

C (broad): The outer cable flanks an inner cable, both forming a swag. On the left corner is a rough triangular filler. The panel contains an interlace: four-strand plain plait with U-bend terminals, using median-incised strands which are also double cabled. At one side is a group of three pellet fillers, and at the other, two single ones flanking the U-bend terminal. The inner moulding is cut into a triangular crest to serve as a filler at the centre.

D (narrow): The single plain edge moulding forms a swag. The panel contains three-strand plain plait, using median-incised strands, which are also cabled.

Discussion

The shaft belongs to the 'round-shaft derivative' type (Kendrick 1949, 75, ff.); the swag and the encircling bands are found on a wide range of Anglian and Anglo-Scandinavian shafts in Northern England and the North Midlands, for example, at Beckermet St Bridget, Cumberland (Bailey and Cramp 1988, il. 41), Clulow, Cheshire, and Stapleford, Nottinghamshire. Here the section of the shaft is uncompromisingly rectangular in section, but the decorative scheme of the round-shafts has been preserved. The pendant Van Dykes often appear below the encircling bands on these shafts and probably derive from metal applications to strengthen the wooden poles of the timber prototypes; the device can be seen on some Irish crozier staffs (Lang 1986, 246–9, fig. 1).

The ornamental repertoire is entirely interlace, the forms and pellet fillers being typical of the Anglo-Scandinavian period. Collingwood's drawings (1911a, figs. m–p on 272) do not show the extent of cabling on the strands which creates added embellishment. There is a very close parallel to this shaft in Lastingham 1 (Ills. 574–7), where the decoration and proportions of the monument are almost identical. The two shafts probably came from the same hand.

Date
Late ninth to late tenth century
References
Collingwood 1911a, 273, figs. m–p on 272; Kendrick 1941, 17; Lang 1989, 5
Endnotes
1. The following is a general reference to the Sherburn stones: Lang 1989, 5.

Forward button Back button
mouseover