Volume III: York and East Yorkshire

Select a site alphabetically from the choices shown in the box below. Alternatively, browse sculptural examples using the Forward/Back buttons.

Chapters for this volume, along with copies of original in-text images, are available here.

Current Display: Amotherby 01, Eastern Yorkshire Forward button Back button

Overview
National Grid Reference of Place of Discovery
Present Location
Cemented into east wall of porch, inside
Evidence for Discovery
First recorded in present location in 1907 (Collingwood 1907, 299)
Church Dedication
St Helen
Present Condition
Broken and worn; the two horizontal arms and upper ring survive
Description

Cross-head, arm type B10, with ring, type 1(a), set close to the arm-pits. Only one broad face is visible.

A (broad): The carving is thinly incised on the face of the cross-head. The arms are not identical in size and the workmanship is rough. A moulding is clumsily indicated by an incised contour line within the cross. In the centre is an incised circle. The ring is recessed slightly from the face of the cross and its section is convex. The arm-pits are gouged out.

B (narrow): The upper edge of the right-hand arm carries a T-shaped incision.

C (broad): Built in.

D (narrow): Broken away.

Discussion

The piece is of poor quality and its decoration is unadventurous. The ringed form of the cross-head, and the circular, gouged arm-pits relate it to more accomplished monuments in Ryedale, for example, Middleton 1–2, which are attributed to the Anglo-Scandinavian period. It is reminiscent of the cross-head at Topcliffe, North Riding (Collingwood 1907, 407, fig. on 403).

Date
Tenth century
References

Collingwood 1907, 299, fig. a on 296; Collingwood 1912a, 123; Morris 1931, 48; Pevsner 1966, 60


Forward button Back button
mouseover